Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 12, 2014

Five for Friday {September 12}

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]





This week seemed to last forever. It was just jammed packed with meetings, phone calls, e-mails, to-do lists, technology issues, etc. I’m so happy it’s the weekend!!
I’m so happy I could sing… about finally getting Daily 5 up and running! YEAH! BTW it is my fourth week of school. I finally have my kids quietly working independently. Amazing! Anyone with firsties knows this is a huge deal.


This is listening:

My kids are working on MyLexia a computer-reading program. They can login on their own now.

This is writing:
 



My kids labeled Pete the Cat and wrote in our class journals.


This is word work:


My kids are working on their spelling and sight words.


In reading this week we read Curious George at School. Our goal was to retell the story. I made this anchor chart to keep up in our room. As a class, we made this anchor charts. The kids all got the draw a part of the retelling. At the end of the week, we did an interactive notebook retelling. They had to sequence the events and the draw the pictures underneath the flap. These are from Teaching with Love and Laughter.






This part of my room makes me happy. It’s our birthday board and job chart. My kids love to look at their pictures under their birthday month and see their jobs for the week.




I got these wiggle tools from others recommendations. This is a wiggle seat that helps kids that can’t sit still. They can wiggle in their seat without distracting other kids. The kids enjoy sitting in the wiggle seat. They trade it around as needed. Some use it for writing, others for sitting at the computer, and others use it during independent math. No one fights over and it moves around the room. It has been interesting to see where it ends up at the end of the day. The other tools are for my students with ADD and ADHD that need something to touch while listening and working in class. They keep this inside their desks and use as needed. It doesn’t bother anyone and keeps the kids on task. I also place Velcro under these students’ desks. They touch it and stay focused. We read Pete the Cat this week and made up our own Pete the cat stories. I had one student finish his entire Pete the Cat final copy today. This is a huge deal for him to write around six sentences.





I needed a pick me up yesterday and also needed a notepad. I reached in my drawer and picked this up. This is a sweet note from a student from three years ago. He is now in 4th grade! It was just what I needed! I love seeing my old students and remembering all the great times we had in class.



Hope you all have a nice weekend! I have Open House on Monday so look out for a blog post.




7 comments:

  1. I feel just as exhausted, my week was just unusual. I work with first and second graders and it's always music to my ears when they are all working so diligently. I was wondering about the wiggle seat do you have just one and it rotates? Does it really work? I'm thinking about getting one but just wanted an opinion! Best of luck on your Open House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like everyone's week was unusual. Perhaps it was the long week after having a short one last week? I have one and they rotate it around. I bought it specifically for one kid but others who need it started using it on their own because they liked it. So the four that need it and like it rotate it around the room. They haven't argued over it and use it when they most need it. They've been getting their work done and not disturbing others so I would say it works. There are tons of reviews on Amazon that I read before buying it. Most were very positive and love using it in the classroom. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info Jess! Super helpful!

      Delete
  2. I had a long week... I seem to see that popping up a lot on blogs. Full moon maybe? I found your blog through Five for Friday and I am really loving to read it. Your pictures this week of your students work in their daily 5 centers were awesome. I love that moment in the year after the first few weeks of routine, routine, and more routine where they just get it. It's so amazing to sit sometimes and just watch them do what they're supposed to do. :) I'm still waiting for that moment, but it has only been 9 days. Maybe this next week??? Hope you have a great weekend.
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been in school for 15 days before it all came together. Take your time and keep going over the routine.They will get there. You want them to do it right so don't try anything too fast. I'm sure it will click for your group soon. Some years it happens faster than others. Hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog and love it. Great ideas for beginner writers.
    Sheri
    http://earlyyearswithsheri.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete