Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 29, 2011

Estimation Station and Confessions


Estimation Station:

I just got my wonderful Estimation Station in the mail this week from Can Do Kinders. The Estimation Station is now going to be to be used as a take home bag. Each Friday a student will take the bag home and place items to estimate in the jar. On Monday the students will bring the bag back and the class will make estimations throughout the week. Then on Friday we will graph our estimations and count to find out how many items are in the jar. I made two sheets that will go in the Estimation Station bag and will also include the estimation book Betcha!
Betcha! Estimating (Mathstart, Level 3)

Click HERE to get your free estimation sheets!  

Hope you all like this and can use it!

Now my confessions:


EEK! I am going to meet my new team next week! I'm super excited but a little nervous. I mean I'm sure they have a well oiled plan working for them and boom I come in shaking things up. I don't want to be the annoying teacher that ask for help all the time but I am new to the school and don't know how things work there just yet. I hope my team is friendly, welcoming, understanding, helpful, professional, creative, sharers, and fun! I know it seems like I'm asking for everything under the sun! I just want to be liked, appreciated, and valued on my new team. Sometimes it can be hard to establish yourself when you are new at school. It's a whole new group to win over-don't even get me started on admin and parents! I'm pumped about our team meeting and want to know your recommendations. Should I bring a welcome/back to school gift? Is that too much since I don't even know them? I know I'll bring my own things I've created and done in the past as well as the fabulous things I've found on blogs to the table to share! I know I'll bring my planner. I know I'll bring lots of enthusiasm -I love back to school season!  Do you recommend bringing anything else? I'm not sure how other school's run their team meetings. I just need a little encouragement since I feel like I've always been the newbie and never on the other side.


7 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. I totally understand your feelings about being in a new school. I start student teaching in two weeks. I'm so excited, but also really nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be fine. Most teams recognize how scary it is to be the newbie! A gift is not necessary, just be your sweet positive self and all will be well! Good luck! BTW don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and share when you have something better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess!
    Good luck at your new building and with your new teammates! I agree...just be yourself! Not sure about the time you're meeting, but what about taking some bagels or warm muffins if you're meeting in the morning or other snacks to munch on while you're working?
    Just a thought!
    Jenn

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement! It's a morning meeting so perhaps I'll just bake some muffins-thanks for the suggestion. That's will be a nice gesture but not too much. Thanks again ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess,
    I was so excited to see what you are doing with the estimation station! I so love it! Your new team will love you. Muffins sound great. Please ask for help when you need it... I am sure all of your team mates have needed help at one time or another. I am sure they will be so happy to have you and your wonderful ideas!I would love to have you as a team mate at my school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam thank you so much for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Most teachers LOVE when new teachers ask for their advice!

    ReplyDelete