Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet the Teacher-Blog Hoppin'


                                                                               Meet the Teacher Monday!

Me! 
Just a little slice of Florida paradise! 



* * * * *

Tell us a little something about you...

I'm Jess or Jessica, Jessie, Jesper, or well I can't tell you my other nicknames they are just too embarrassing. I live with my boyfriend of 5 years in a cute little house and I love our life. (Hoping for a ring…oh but we won't go there…lol)    I love teaching, learning, reading, biking, boating, sunning, and recently bloggin' and Pinterest! I received both of my degrees from the University of Central Florida-Go Knights! My undergraduate degree is in Early Childhood Education (PK-3) and my Master is in Reading Education. I would eventually love to become a reading coach. I had a wonderful summer! I graduated with my Masters in May, my brother got married to a beautiful women in June, I took a fabulous trip to Costa Rica with my boyfriend in July, and got to spend a lot of quality time with my best friend, who is constantly busy because she's in med school. I just had my first day of school today and it went smoothly! I just hope that the hurricane holds off until the weekend!

How long have you been teaching?

This is my fourth year teaching.  I taught a Pre-K/kindergarten mix class my first year in a charter school-CRAZY! Then I moved to a Title 1 school and taught first grade for 2 years. I just switch schools because they built a school right next to my new one and I'm on an annual contract. It actually turned out to be a wonderful decision though, I'm in a great school with lots of parent involvement (I had 6 mom's want to be room moms!) and I love the staff. I am teaching first grade again this year and I'm so happy! 

You might not know...

That I originally wanted to be a music teacher…eek! I could never do that now! I played the piano for 18 years and really want to get into music education. I tried out for the program at my school and got in but then I heard all about the program. Such as you had to practice for pretty much half your day and the program was 5 years and you could pretty much kiss your social life away unless you wanted to join the music fraternity. Well that just wasn't me! I want to join a sorority and have a fun college experience without being so serious. So I learned that although music was a passion of mine it was not what I was meant to teach. I volunteered a lot in Kindergarten classes and I knew it was where I wanted to be! I just had to be in an Early Childhood classroom! 

What are you looking most forward to this school year?

I'm looking forward to utilizing my parent volunteers! I have never really had parents volunteer for anything besides parties and field trips so I'm looking forward to using parents in my room. I'm also looking forward to a fresh start with a new school and a new class. My babies as I like to call my students are so wonderfully different and special this year, I know it will challenge me to be a great teacher! 

What do you need to improve?

I want to improve on my organization of everything, which I have a great start on thanks to all my blogging friends. I just want to continue to stay organize and not a paper mess on my desk! I just have to remind myself every paper and thing has a home!
I also want to improve on using CAFE. I used it last year but not to the full extent and I just want to incorporate in more into my reading series. It is so hard to fit everything in to one day! I had a million activities planned for today that we didn't get done….sometimes I just need to slow down and take it easy though.

What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

I love chart paper! I think it is essential to make anchor charts even though mine don't look that pretty. 

BOOKS! I LOVE getting new books! I buy books all the time and I never think my classroom library is big enough. I actually want to get more shelves for my library. I can incorporate a book into any activity for the classroom.

I also love sticky notes! I have them in probably 12 different colors and a entire drawer full of them. I love using them for list, for the CAFE board, or sticking reading strategies to kids notebooks. I think they are so pretty and bright they just make me smile. 


Join in the teacher week fun! 
Blog Hoppin


4 comments:

  1. Jess, I enjoyed reading more about you! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I have read your article and very impressed with the way you have organised the information and data. I found it quite fascinating and valuable too. By the way, I am here to inform you that we are associated with the world’s no. 1 assignment help services i.e. Online Assignment Expert. Here, we are associated with a pool of experts and ex-professors from a reputed university and colleges. They help us in providing a flawless and genuine nursing assignment help. Therefore, the students searching for the world’s best academic writing professionals can reach to us any time.
    Our assignment experts are well-qualified, highly-experienced and capable to deal with any type of assignment whether it is related to essay, case study, research paper or any other form of assignment.
    Hence whenever you need assistance from assignment help Australia, reach to us. We assure that you will be profoundly happy with our nursing assignment help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the article. I find it interesting. I hope to see more articles like this from you. Through your blog I want to help those students who are searching for Python assignment help service in Australia. Check out our Assignment Help service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you often lose your sleep over your pending assignments? Do you end up searching for best Python assignment help ? Well, if you are struggling to finish your assignment on your own, then you have come to the right place. ABC Assignment help is the leading academic solution provider on the internet, where you can find all the necessary assistance to complete all type of assignments.

    ReplyDelete